Thursday, January 3, 2008

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)


My Review: I had my reservations for this film, especially after the crap fest that was Resident Evil: Apocalypse back in 2004. But I really dig zombie flicks and I'm a sucker for a hot chick movie lead that kicks ass, so of course I did get excited when I popped this baby into the DVD player. Extinction is a big improvement but far from perfect or even what a Resident Evil movie should be. Low on story/character development but high on striking visuals and butt whooping in all of it's forms, Extinction managed to drag the series back out of the trashcan. The basic plot of Extinction is as follows:
T-Virus escapes, contaminates world, world becomes desert. Most living creatures become zombies who prefer human meat on the menu. Some humans survive - good guys (Ali Larter, Oded Fehr, Ashanti) form convoys and keep moving, bad guys live underground in high-tech facilities. Good guys look for more good guys and scavenge for supplies, and of course kill zombies. Bad guys look for cure and kill clones and zombies. Evil scientist (Dr. Sam Isaacs) gets carried away with evil experiments and needs Milla Jovovich (Alice) to use her blood to make anti-virus. Alice wants to keep her blood, and links up with human convoy. Many deaths follow. Ending leaves huge opening for next movie, possibly in Tokyo.


The CGI for Resident Evil has once again improved on itself; Everything blends in seamlessly with the real-world environment and the stunts are much more grounded with reality. The kukhri knives are probably the coolest and deadliest weapon used in the film, and the actual sequences their featured in are amazing. I really dug the zombie crows scene especially when Ashanti's meaningless role ended. What the hell was the point in having her in the movie except to appeal to a certain demographic?

Plot holes were abound as well (where is Jill Valentine? what happened to her from RE2?) and so were a string of tired clichés that I could have done without. If I see the whole “I got bitten by a Zombie but won’t tell anyone until I turn and attack them” device one more time...Aghh!!



All in all, Resident Evil: Extinction was a better film than I anticipated and being the highest grossing installment in the series, I expect we will have yet another zombie flick on the horizon.

Movie Rating: 4/5

No comments: