Thursday, September 18, 2008

Horror Movie Review | Prom Night (2008)

My Review: I finally got around to watching the "remake" of Prom Night on DVD and then it has taken me some time to actually review it, so here we go. First off this is NOT a remake of the 1980 Jamie Lee Curtis film. The only similarity between the two is the title and that both films have a prom in them. That's it. Nothing else even slightly resembles the 80's film. I enjoyed the original immensely in my youth and I still think it holds up today, of course I love Jamie Lee Curtis, which probably makes me somewhat biased. But it had a great mystery as to the killer's identity and it was rated R.

Prom Night 2008 was mediocre at its best moments (I should note I saw the "unrated" version and cringe at what the PG-13 version must have been like). And those moments of suspense were scarce. The plot is simple enough: Brittany Snow plays Donna, the sole survivor of her family's massacre at the hands of an obsessed teacher (Jonathan Schaech), who returns three years later to finish his campaign on the eve of her senior prom. No mystery here.

Anyways, we get some killings, with little to no blood, the plot void of any real surprises or scares and there you have it… a boring slasher film. The script was ridiculously predictable and illogical at times and what was up with Brittany and mirrors? She would just stare into them for prolonged amounts of time (bathroom mirror, closet door mirror, you get the drift) daydreaming about her psychotic teacher? Whatever medication they have her on for nightmares and anxiety needs to be changed. On a positive note, the film did have an attractive cast with some mediocre acting (I blame the script) and it was shot fairly well, meaning it had the "look" of a potentially good slasher film, unfortunately Prom Night just fails to deliver and I would not recommend viewing.
Movie Rating: 2.5/5




No comments: