Thursday, September 18, 2008

Xanadu | Broadway Show Closes October 12th

Sadly...Xanadu, the Broadway production nominated for four 2008 Tony Awards, including “Best Musical,” will perform a final show at the Helen Hayes Theatre on October 12th.
Based on Olivia Newton-John’s 1980 movie musical, Xanadu “tells the story of one of the nine muses of ancient Greece who comes to earth to inspire the greatest of artistic achievements – a roller disco. Along the way she falls in love, bumps into an old acquaintance and for the first time, feels the desire to create herself.”

In a press statement released on Tuesday, lead producer Robert Ahrens said, “It was a joy to work on Xanadu, a project that I truly believed in. The cast, which became a family, was superbly talented as was the entire creative team. It’s a rare treat to have such a special experience. All of my partners, including Tara Smith, B. Swibel, Dan Vickery, Cari Smulyan, Dale Smith, and Sara Murchison made their Broadway [producing] debuts with the show and their enthusiasm and belief in the project was unparallel. I thank them all.”


I had hoped to catch this show on my next trip out to New York, but it does not look like I will get there before October 12th. Very sad and disappointing, but at least I have my DVD and soundtracks!

No comments: